Glug Glug Jugs
were originally made by Thomas Forester & Son in Staffordshire in
the late 1870’s. However, most people will associate these
jugs with Dartmouth Pottery, who originally produced a fish shaped
water jug which they called ‘Gurgling Fish Jugs…..a novelty which
always attracts attention’.
special pair of jugs were made in 1958 for presentation to the Queen
and Prince Philip on their visit to
present New Colours. The Commanding Officer of the college
commissioned the jugs which were 9” tall, glazed green and embossed
with the Royal insignia and the date 28th July 1958. This gift
undoubtedly helped the popularity of the jugs, and they became great
were intended for use as water jugs – they inherited their name due
to the sound they made when liquid was poured out. They were
also used as advertising items by breweries, and over the years
hundreds were made to advertise ‘Plymouth Gin’.
When Dartmouth Pottery closed in 2002, Wade
Ceramics had the opportunity to buy the fish jug mould and have
continued to produce the jugs since then. Up until now the
jugs have mainly been exported to the
however, Gluggle Ltd. hopes to resurrect their popularity in the
Gluggle Ltd. was established by Rosie Granger
and Jane Joyce in 2009. Gluggle Ltd. has the exclusive right
to sell and market these jugs in the
on behalf of Wade Ceramics Ltd. (Est. 1810). Gluggle Ltd. in
association with Wade Ceramics has developed a range of brand new
colours which gives the jugs a more contemporary feel.
Both Rosie and
Jane believe passionately in the product and want everyone to enjoy
‘Gluggle Jugs’ as much as they do.
Gluggle Ltd. would like to thank Keith Poole
of the Torquay Pottery Collectors Society for the wonderful
photographs and his help. For further information contact